Monday, March 30, 2009

Conspiracy Theory for the Day

I think a meteor apocalypse is upon us.

Ok, not really, but
I am intrigued by outer space. Whenever there is a news story about anything space related I read it. I think it's strange and kind of sad that shuttle launches are so commonplace now they make the tail end of the news, if they make the news at all. Luckily I get most of my news from the internet so I can stay apprised of the goings-on in the galaxy. I was excited last month when there was a report of a meteor over Texas:

(click to view article)


Then on March 7th, I read about one over Westchester, New York:

(click to view article)


Then on March 9th over Nanuet, New York:

(click to view article)


Then on March 17th over Staten Island, New York:

(click to view article)


And most recently, this past weekend, March 29th over Virginia:

(click to view article)


Now, meteors are usually observed as "falling stars" waaaay up in the atmosphere, tiny little meteors that burn up in the atmosphere. Meteor showers happen when the earth passes through a meteor field (left behind by a comet). But these recent events are much different. They are not small falling stars, but huge streaks across the sky that cause sonic booms to be heard. Very intriguing to say the least.

No comments: