Monday, January 19, 2009

Fun weekend

This past weekend my brother invited me to take a trip to his deer lease. As you can tell by my pair of New Balance "mowin-the-yard shoes" I'm not a huge outdoorsmen, although I do enjoy it when I get the chance. Since deer season had ended recently, we were going to hunt something else... wild boar!

I'm not
too eager to try venison, so I've never hunted deer, but I figure ham is good no matter the source and a feral pig would make a better adversary than a deer. My philosophy is, the better chance an animal has against me, the less I mind hunting it. That and the fact wild boar are invasive harbingers of destruction to land that would otherwise be grazed by more desirable animals.

Before arriving we made a stop at the local mercantile for the necessary life sustaining supplies that are vital to making it in the wilderness. Ok, so we
bought candy bars and lottery tickets at the Allsups. But, if we had not stopped I would not have had the chance to photograph this nugget of entertainment. It may not be clear, but it shows a woman in a business suit with text that says something about if you are pondering a career change, then think of Allsups! I had never considered Allsups for a potential career change, thank goodness I stumbled across this sign!

Soon we arrived at the luxurious hunting lodge.

Complete with turn-down service (that's my brother putting out the sleeping bags).

And lovely bathroom facilities (although there was not a bidet, we somehow managed).

Here I am doing my best Blair Witch Project impression "Im.... so... scared!!".

And here is my brother checking out his motion sensor activated, infrared (see in the dark), game camera. I bet the pioneers would have loved to have one of these.

So how did the hunt go? Well as my brother has been telling people, we shot everything we saw.

Indeed we did.

We shot this-


And this-

And a whole herd of these-
Sorry if you've enlarged the pictures and squinted to see the animals that weren't there, we came home empty handed. I did however mortally wound an Ozarka bottle with a .22, but didn't get pictures. It was too graphic anyway. Thanks to the game camera, we did have proof that the hogs had been visiting the deer feeder in the days prior... We'll get them next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You updated your blog!