Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hey, I can cook!

Growing up, my dad was always the master of breakfast before we headed off to school. I took it for granted that *every* kid probably had a plate of eggs, bacon and toast before heading out for the day. Or maybe pancakes (with smiley faces of course) and sausage. And if the syrup should "accidentally" get on the sausage, all the better. Heaven forbid if we just had "dog food" (his word for cereal). Mom usually handled dinner and on the rare occasion she was not there, Dad's supper time stylings were either breakfast foods (no problem there) or something that involved pan fried potatoes sliced like fries. No problem with fries, but after a few times you realize it's not quite the gamut of Mom on the dinner side of things. Luckily, I like to think I inherited the breakfast food skill. My wife is quite the chef, so I was thrilled when I made scrambled eggs one day and she was trying to figure out how I made them so nice and fluffy. I thought adding a little shot of milk to the mix was common knowledge, but it was new to her. I think this is the sole culinary technique I have been able to share with her, so I was quite happy.No, I can't take credit for that bread. When I got home yesterday I could tell my wife was exhausted. She had spent the day making TONS of delicious apple cinnamon bread and didn't feel up to making dinner (uh oh). Excluding breakfast food, my expertise in cooking consists of spreading tortilla chips on a plate, putting shredded cheese on top, and microwaving for about 30 seconds (Dad really has me beat with his fried potatoes). So I asked what she had planned to cook before volunteering my cooking skills. "Vegetable Pasta" she said. Luckily, this one was pretty simple. I just boiled some water...... and put in the noodles. Then I chopped up some mushrooms, squash, zucchini, onions, and tomatoes. I put this in the skillet after melting about half a stick of butter, let it simmer, then added salt and pepper and garlic of course.
I admit I was nervous as she spooned it up, but it turned out delicious! Plus, it's hard to screw up, especially when you coat the end result in half a can of Parmesan cheese. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget the yummy breakfast burritos!